The instructions below work for images and PDF files.
We like Google Drive because:
- Images and PDFs automatically resize to fit the board
- It has built-in zoom in/out and open in new tab buttons
- It's free to set up an account; most people will already have one
Scroll down to Part 3 for advanced tips.
Part 1: Get the URL
- Open the image, tap the three dots in the upper right, and tap "Share"
2. In the Share panel, change "Get link" so it is set to "Anyone on the internet with this link can view"
3. Tap the three dots in the upper right again and tap "Open in new window"
4. In this new window, tap the three dots in the upper right and select "Embed item..."
5. In the HTML, copy the URL in quotes that starts with https://drive.google.com and ends in /preview (e.g. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ncEVKeDenISHNXMkFKNUNKbTQ/preview)
Part 2: Create the Board
- Go to a room, tap on the room name and select "Show Board"
2. Paste the URL into the field and tap "Save"
3. If you used the correct link and set the correct sharing permission, your image should be visible. The benefit of using Google Drive for images is that you can zoom in/out (to aid with readability) or open in a new tab (the button in the top right).
4. When you embed a PDF, you also have the ability to navigate pages.
Part 3: Advanced Tips
If you ever need to update an image or PDF, you can do so while preserving the existing URL.
- Right-click or control-click on a file name to view a pop-up of options. Select "Manage versions"
2. Tap "UPLOAD NEW VERSION" to update the file. The file at the top of the list will be labeled "Current version" – to revert to an older version, tap the three dots to the right of the version name and tap "Delete" to remove it.
With this method, you can preserve your board links. For example, this is useful for your welcome lobby sign: You can change the version to match the day's event agenda (or welcome a new visitor to your space), then revert to an earlier "default" version afterward.